Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

back home, of the run, singing songs that make you slit your wrists it isn't that much fun, staring down a loaded gun. cemetary drive, by my chemical romance

Emo Forums » Emo Lifestyle (Reply)

Emo Pictures - brokenxdreams
brokenxdreams
Could I sue my school for this? Nov 09 2012, 01:55 PM
Okay hi. So recently, my school took away my computer so that they could look up the history. So they did, and the Headmaster sent the list of webpages to my parents. Only thing is, my parents are religious, and Dad's against gays. And I'm bisexual. I wasn't planning on coming out to them any time soon, but my history had a few advice pages on it. Anyway, I was wondering if I could sue my school over a forced coming out. I know my parents know now, because they had a paper copy of the list that I found and it was highlighted. Also, another major factor: A while ago I was in Italian and I let it slip after some kid was being a homophobe. He pushed me off my chair and we went to the Headmaster's office. This swot told about what I said, and the Headmaster said "If you don't tell Mum and Dad, I might.". Do you reckon this could be considered an Invasion Of Privacy case? If not, what charge could I use? I'm really upset about this, you have absolutely no idea about the sick feeling in the bottom of your stomach every time you even think about it. I want to make it a lawsuit because if I do, hopefully I can help out others that might be in my position in the future. Thanks:)

Replies

Emo Pictures - xXeMoRaCeRXx
xXeMoRaCeRXx
Nov 09 2012, 02:03 PM
Is it your own computer or the school's? Did they ask permission to check your history?
brokenxdreams
Nov 09 2012, 02:10 PM
It's the schools, and no they didn't ask permission, they just told me to go and get it and then they told me after they had it. However, my parents are paying money for it.
Emo Pictures - xXxChrisJWxXx
xXxChrisJWxXx
Nov 09 2012, 02:24 PM
You need to consult the college policy on using the computers, we can not give a definitive answer however invasion of privacy is a breach of human rights so potentially yes. The college can cover themselves in a policy saying that they can monitor your usage though, many do these days.
brokenxdreams
Nov 09 2012, 04:43 PM
But there's a fine line between monitoring someone's usage and forcing someone to come out. Just saying.
Emo Pictures - xXxChrisJWxXx
xXxChrisJWxXx
Nov 09 2012, 06:00 PM
I know hun but the law's an *ss
Emo Pictures - Xolivia-von-sodomyX
Xolivia-von-sodomyX
Nov 09 2012, 09:24 PM
dude i would be to pissed!!! you can definatly do somthing about this what they are doing is called student profiling they can't discrimante aginst you for things such as belifs, gender, sexual orantation or so on. they cant use information like that to punish it is profileing and they can get in a lot of trouble for doing that. i would get an advocate they help protect students rights and work to build lawsuites aginst schools and make sure they are playing but the rules. if i was you i would sue their ass then withdawn and go somewhere else.
ThatEmoKid
Nov 10 2012, 08:02 AM
I think its ridiculous that they would do that. Do they even understand the damage forcing someone out of the closet can do to that person. I think you should be able to take legal action but sadly you cant unless your parents are involved. P.S. next time you want to look up something you dont want anyone to know about do this: 1)download google chrome. 2)go into settings and click on "New Incognito Window". Nothing in this window will show up in your history.
Emo Pictures - alyxxx
alyxxx
Nov 10 2012, 11:55 AM
Honestly, I don't think you can sue the school, or really do anything about it. If it's their computer's, while yes, you're paying for it, they have the right to look through your stuff. However, I don't think that making you tell your parents is right. I'm sorry that happened to you. But I don't know if there's anything you can do.
x_beyondparanormal_x
Nov 10 2012, 03:50 PM
I know how you feel, my gf's dad looked over her history and found out after us and me being gay and told my parents about it secretly, i felt like you do now. Sadly, I don't think you can sue the school (I wish you could) but I hope it all gets better. My parents are religious and everything too and they don't like the idea of me being gay but they're pretty much over it and say "You'll change your mind in a year" (pretty sure I won't) So .. anyways, good luck. :)
FiFiTheVampBitcxh
Nov 11 2012, 04:14 AM
i don't know, and even if you did i reckon you wouldn't get much out of it. Ass said the law can be an ass and you need a lot of prove behind your statement which at the moment it seems you only do have that slip of paper which probably doesn't give much evidence. and with the boy who went to the office their's no evidence at all that it happened. in my opinion i wouldn't bother as it takes a lot of time and you will most likely need to pay at some point and you just don't have enough evidence to back yourself up with
Emo Pictures - lonely_on_the_inside
lonely_on_the_inside
Nov 12 2012, 09:05 AM
That's kind of unbelievable (not calling you a liar) I just can't believe that sort of thing happens you should definitely do something about it... I don't know whether you could legally charge them though.How did they even get your laptop? Did the school supply it (if it wasn't its definitely a breach of privacy) ? Good luck :)

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More