Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

this life is filled with hurt when happieness doesnt work!trust me ive got a plan when the lights go out ull understand!! pain, by Three Days Grace

Emo Forums » Emo Lifestyle (Reply)

Emo Pictures - AliceHeartnet
AliceHeartnet
Why Most Women don't Win Mr. Darcy - Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice Nov 15 2014, 10:56 AM
Jane Austen is a great woman. She was a woman talking about "choosing" a good husband, but by your own will and through love accompanied by mutual respect. An unmarried 19 century Victorian woman, even as a gentry, could easily be left in poor estate. Therefore, marriage was a business and it was "the accepted reasoning was that the career for women" during the Victorian era. So when it comes with marriage, Victorian women didn't really have an option. Victorian women were property to their husbands, therefore, how dare a "property" have a "choice" over her master? Her novel "Pride and Prejudice" is about a woman who chooses her husband, a good husband. This story is about two people who fall in love through the process of discovering and understanding each others' opposite traits in spite of classism, sexism, and unspoken rules of the "modest Victorian woman". Mr. Darcy - A handsome and wealthy gentleman. He is also kind hearted although he appears to be full of pride in Elizabeth's first impression . Many women don't win over Mr. Darcy , because they often fall for men like Mr. Wickham instead. Not many women have an eye for Mr. Darcy. If you want to see what kind of a man he is, pay attention to his behaviours instead of words. Although Mr. Darcy appears to be proud and arrogant, there is a reason behind it. For Elizabeth, breaking her prejudice and understanding him as a human being were great parts of the process falling in love with him and winning his heart. Elizabeth - According to Mr. Darcy, she is not pretty - "tolerable" he says, however, she is a woman with character. She dares to reject Mr. Darcy when she was proposed by him, because she doesn't believe in marrying a man she can't respect. Mr. Darcy acknowledges how he could appear to others and starts to adjust the qualities in his character. It is so adorable to see him going through such a transition to gain the heart of a woman he falls in love with. For me - I don't want Mr. Right or Prince Charming. I want Mr. Darcy. And most of the time, he doesn't exit around me or I might end up falling for Mr. Wickham instead when he is around. And just like Mr. Darcy, many men don't have an eye for Elizabeth either so they usually end up with bitches (Listen to "If you can't Hang" by Sleeping with Sirens). If I ever get to marry, I want to marry only once with a man that I love and respect for the rest of my life. That is the ideal marriage that I always dream of. Otherwise, I would not be regretful to end alone. I do not want to love or use anybody for my loneliness. I do not want my children to be unwanted or be with a father figure that doesn't love them. If I don't get to marry and destined to end alone, I would accept it and make decisions to be productive in other ways to the society. I do not believe that marriage is the destination for womanhood or human maturity. Although Victorian women were so suppressed by the patriarchal ideologies and system of the society, many of their heart surprisingly possessed the passion of feminism and feminist ideas: "...This shift in labor, however, did not come without its controversies. The division between the "domestic" female and the "public" male was not the reality for many and practicing it, was deemed burdensome. The women who would go on to fight for women's rights believed that manipulating its principles would prove more successful than a total rejection of the ideology. The argument of women's moral superiority (if their purity allowed them to be the teachers of moral values, then their effect on public life could only be uplifting) became the leading edge for the women's rights movement during the period. Women's demands for participation in public life presented the challenge of separating the "sphere ideology" (http://logicmgmt.com/1876/overview/victorian_woman/victorian_woman.htm)." Maybe I am a Victorian woman revived to the 21st century.

Replies

Emo Pictures - xXeMoRaCeRXx
xXeMoRaCeRXx
Nov 17 2014, 02:12 PM
Another interesting post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! On a side-note I'd love to have lived through Victorian times :)

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More