Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

I walk a lonely road,the only one that I have ever known,don't know where it goes,but it's home to me and I walk alone I walk this empty street,on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams Where the city sleeps,and I'm the only one and I walk alone boulevard of broken dreams, by Green Day

Emo Forums » Emo Lifestyle (Reply)

Emo Pictures - AliceHeartnet
AliceHeartnet
It's NOT COOL to Cut Yourself Dec 02 2014, 02:04 PM
You might think emotion is an opposite word for reason or logic (Rene Descartes's dualism has a similar idea on body and mind), but apparently recent psychological theories suggest that reason is an extension of emotion, which intertwines with each other. When reason or logic is an ability to think, emotion is like a compass that determines the direction of the logical decisions you make. I am a logical person, therefore I am more emo than anybody else that I know. It's NOT cool to cut yourself over any personal problems. It's COOL to actually do something about the problems. It's COOL to be logical and think consciously, not relying on drugs or any other types of substance abuse. Check out this website about reason vs emotion: http://rationaloptimist.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/reason-versus-emotion/ "Plato saw reason and emotion as two horses pulling a chariot, with the charioteer struggling to make them work as a team. But while reasoned thought and emotional response aredistinct mental modules that even operate in different brain areas, yet they do work together. For a normal person, they are so intertwined that it’s really a single combined process of mental functioning. Neuroscientist Antonio Damasio studied people injured in specific brain localities responsible for emotion. They did become calm and emotionless. But not Spocklike paragons of rationality! In fact, their lives fell apart because they couldn’t make the simplest decisions. Because making any decision or choice entails serving some objective. That objective is supplied by emotion; indeed, it supplies the entire framework for everything we do. Remove emotion and we are not left rational, but adrift without meaning. Damasio’s patients didn’t evencare that their lives fell apart. And emotion is not the opposite of reason. It is a different form of it. When you experience the emotion of anger, it isn’t just something that happens to you; it happens for cause, and normally it’s a perfectly logical response to that cause. Emotion is always prompting us to serve and advance our needs and interests. Oh yes, it’s a crude tool, and frequently misfires. But in the big picture, emotions do an excellent job of steering us. Again, look what happened to Damasio’s patients without emotions."

Replies

Emo Pictures - xxxoutcast_lifexx
xxxoutcast_lifexx
Dec 03 2014, 08:07 AM
I couldn't agree more! I feel like it's becoming a trend to self harm especially at my school. And it's worse when you see younger students competing over "who has the biggest cuts". Like ARE YOU ILL. Cutting is a symptom of depression which is a mental illness. That sort of thing should never be "cool". Just because someone listens to certain music or looks a certain way that gives people no right to determine weather they have a mental illness on the inside.
Emo Pictures - xChasingRainbowsx
xChasingRainbowsx
Dec 03 2014, 08:33 AM
I totally agree with the person above me . It should NEVER be a cool thing to do.
SophMae
Dec 09 2014, 02:16 PM
I agree with your original point, it's definitely not cool to self harm. But could I just add in that Descartes and Plato fundamentally believed you need to suppress (or at least control) emotions, and use reason and logic. Plato's metaphysics stated that using reason and logic is the only way to find out what true reality is, which is the world of the forms/Noeton. That we need to reject the material world (the horaton) in order to reach this. Check out his allegory of the cave.
Emo Pictures - AliceHeartnet
AliceHeartnet
Dec 09 2014, 03:06 PM
Thank you for your insights and I certainly appreciate it :)
Emo Pictures - Lumierepoison
Lumierepoison
Dec 17 2014, 12:47 PM
We DON'T do it to be cool We DON'T do it like a new brand fashion We do it because of our personal problems? Yes. We would do anything to solve them? Yes. And if it doesn't go right, just doesn't go right, you imerse in self-destruction thoughts and the only possibility less harmful than killing ourselves is to do some cuts and cry, we do it, proudly or not, reasonable or not, it's OUR WAYS to show it to ourselves, instead of taking all the pills, instead of slitting our wrists, instead of jumping from the 10th floor, instead of shooting our head. So, pointless or not, we do it because of OUR thoughts, our brain, our emotions. Who can judge it? God? Psychiatrists? I think not even pholophers can describe it if they don't live our pain. It doesn't matter the level of inside-pain. It just doesn't matters.
xXcutsXx
Jun 23 2015, 07:53 AM
i've cut and it's horrible it's not cool. I didn't do it for attention. I didn't think it was cool and i haven't told anybody about it. It was just a time in my life when i didn't felt very well and instead of exploding and panicking i felt that cutting was a better option. I've always thought that cutting is one of the stupidest thing you can do. And i never thought that one day i would selfharm. You only understands what it feels like when you been thru it. And I agree you shouldn't do it for attention and yes some people do it because they think it's cool. And that is just stupid. But you must know that far from everyone do it because it's cool. And belive me i've have tried to deal with my problems and i feel much better now. But i also think of my self as a smart and logical person, but every one can have problems even the smartest. And as i said i never thought i would selfharm, i thougt i was to smart for that shit. But no everyone can have hard solved problems.
Emo Pictures - Valentineklr
Valentineklr
Jun 24 2015, 10:07 AM
I'm with the person above.
Emo Pictures - Gravity
Gravity
Jun 10 2016, 10:37 PM
I agree with the above. I do it to deal with things, not for attention. Its goes hand in hand with my depression
Emo Pictures - -_-x
-_-x
Jun 11 2016, 09:29 PM
Exactly. When a person is in that state of mind where they're trapped, they will use anything as an outlet. Things like self harm, mentally or physically in any way is common in depression. And it isn't the solution at all, it never is. But never blame the victim. Help them back up, show a lot of love, and let them know that you're there for them.
Bluejay
Jul 23 2016, 05:05 PM
I used to cut. It wasn't for attention. It wasn't a fashion statement. I wasn't trying to prove anything. I was suffering from untreated mental illness mixed with a bad home situation. It was a distraction from my emotional pain, because I couldn't escape it any other way.
Thundertheemo
Oct 30 2016, 12:54 AM
Your right only depressed people should
Emo Pictures - PurpleFire
PurpleFire
Oct 31 2016, 12:52 PM
The fact people do this for fun sickens me. No, it is not a game. It's bloody serious.
Emo Pictures - hiding_in_the_dark
hiding_in_the_dark
Nov 01 2016, 12:01 AM
As a former self harmer I totally agree. It always just makes you feel horrible not cool and it makes me mad when people are like "LOL LOOOK AT MY CUTZ THEY R S0 BIG I IS SO SAD BUT MINE ARE BETTER"
siila
Dec 07 2016, 12:16 AM
everyone at my school assumes i cut myself, getting pretty damn annoying tbh
metalX
Dec 09 2016, 06:32 PM
People who cut themselves 4 a good reason, r some of the really sensitive people who exist all over the world. But i want 2 say that none must cut his/her skin 4 a person that hurt him/her. It's like i am someone u don't know n i punch u n after u cut yourself. It's the same. If there is another reason, then try to say your problem 2 someone who cares about u. I know it's difficult 2 talk about your problems, cuz u feel ashamed.
GhostGirl666
Jan 24 2017, 07:05 PM
I agree with Lumierepoison
eleanor
Mar 19 2018, 07:25 PM
we don't do it to be cool or to get attention, i did it because at the point where i was so numb with emotions that i couldnt feel anything i did it to make everything seem real. that was my copng mechanism not my attemp to be cool.

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More