Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

Can you take me away? I don't wanna stay the night, in this run-down place. Don't try to tell me I'll be fine, cuz I'd rather not stay. Zombie's Don't Dream, by Hair Jordan

Emo Forums » Emo Lifestyle (Reply)

Emo Pictures - AliceHeartnet
AliceHeartnet
Youth Subcultures in Japan Jan 02 2015, 10:27 AM
If you are curious about youth subcultures in Japan, please feel free to message me! :)

Replies

Kyraito
Sep 07 2015, 03:38 AM
Well the post is old but... HELLYA I AM CURIOUS ABOUT IT ! :3
Emo Pictures - AliceHeartnet
AliceHeartnet
Jan 31 2016, 03:52 PM
I'll keep posting more :)
Emo Pictures - PurpleFire
PurpleFire
Aug 19 2016, 04:38 PM
I know that Visual Kei is extremely popular in Sweden as well. There's actually quite a few Visual Kei bands, and there was a Visual Kei festival a few months ago.
AzazelSweetcore
Jun 28 2017, 05:56 PM
Japanese youth subcultures are incredibly fascinating to me, but admittedly I'm not an expert. For the most part, there's the usual ones everyone knows about. Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, and Yumekawaii, which is the fluffy, dreamy, fairy tale esque, pastel colored style. I'm not really interested into any pastels, so most kawaii stuff really bores me to tears. I like Visual Kei though. Especially the more Gothic inspired styles. Then one day on Tumblr I find out about two subcultures. Yamikawaii and Menhera. Yamikawaii, from what I can understand is the darker reflection of Yumekawaii, yin to it's yang. What I've been recently interested/intrigued by is Menhera. Menhera from what I know is the style that succeeded Yamikawaii and exists almost separate of it's connection to Yumekawaii. It's all about mental anguish and has a lot of medical, mental, depressing, and gory imagery. There's a few website articles and Tumblr blogs about it if anybody else is curious. Like I said, I'm not necessarily an expert. I find it interesting. I think it's really unique and I probably enjoy it because it's very anti-kawaii. It's like something cute was tainted by sickness. What I'm about to say is a gross understatement and doesn't do the nuances of the subculture much justice outside of a potentially unfair western comparison... but from a lot of angles, it can almost appear to be the Japanese equivalent of emo. I mean, the unofficial mascot is called Menhera Chan the "wrist cutting warrior." Pretty gruesome. Must be why I like it so much.

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More