Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

The bloody angle The symmetry Your cheap adhesilism holding me My mouth is a gun I can shoot I can show you the truth And I don't need a reason to lie to you Absolute Zero, by Stone Sour

Emo Forums » General Emo Discussion (Reply)

Emo Pictures - eleventynine
eleventynine
Last true subculture Sep 05 2017, 05:46 AM
Having a browse in the forums and seeing some posts reminded me of this article. I know this is from 2015 but an interesting read by ID (Vice). https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/59bwj5/emo-was-the-last-true-subculture

Replies

3inthemorning
Sep 05 2017, 06:56 AM
oh wow that was super interesting. i do completely agree with it too, it seems like nobody has any sense of individuality anymore - thats why i get so angry when people make fun of emo kids or kids who like anime or are just in any way different than the mainstream, like at least they have an identity separate from instagram. and it does make me really sad, i hate having grown up in a culture like this. i particularly liked the description of emo being "a way of belonging by not belonging", thats so true ^o^ thanks for sharing :D
Emo Pictures - xXeMoRaCeRXx
xXeMoRaCeRXx
Sep 05 2017, 09:55 AM
Yes that was interesting and I agree with it also. I am glad I have been part of the whole emo scene for over 10 years now and really want to try and get it more popular again! I can't really see another similar alternative subculture as "big" developing any time soon, but I might be wrong!
LipsOfDeceit
Sep 05 2017, 07:49 PM
Yeah I agree, so interesting and kind of nostalgic to read in a way. I was actually thinking earlier about how I do miss the community around it and I feel sort of out of touch with the music and feel that its really dying out in favour of more "mainstream" sounds! I also kind of struggle now too being older and still enjoying some of the fashion traits or whatever and just feeling like i'm "too old" to belong anymore! I would also like to see it becoming more popular again but I also can't see another big subculture emerging or one coming back anytime soon either. I feel like everything is kind of filtering slowly into "normal" or "mainstream" like alternative styles are just "edgier" versions of the mainstream, or people buying band tees in high street stores but not actually knowing the band, band becoming "radio friendly" etc..
Emo Pictures - Kate
Kate
Sep 05 2017, 11:55 PM
Interesting read and nice little nostalgia trip too :) however goth is still going strong in it's many branches, so emo isn't really the last true subculture tbf.. i do agree with the above though, it's a shame some of the emo music has lost it's raw/meanings and become heavily mainstream defeating the point but i guess it's the circle/path things have to take to survive sometimes but also bring things back in "fashion". Would be nice to see another revival off emo though like there was in the mid 00's
Sep 08 2017, 10:17 PM
I totally agree with kate. the style wars where fun. kids today are missing out. my reading on this suggests that subcultures began to die out with the rise of face book.

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More