Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

Black out and hide behind the lines keep staring down the sun and hope the light will finally blind your eyes from seeing cross off the days gone by Cross Off, by Mark Morton (ft Chester Bennington)

Emo Forums » General Emo Discussion (Reply)

Emo Pictures - Vybz
Vybz
Are You as Emos Criticized by Religous groups? Jul 18 2009, 08:39 PM
I know many people complain about media criticism, but are you also criticized by Religious groups.. or is your music/ life style/ dress looked upon as evil ? I'd like to hear from goth as well, but i already know for sure they are criticized, but it would be nice to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Replies

Emo Pictures - xXeMoRaCeRXx
xXeMoRaCeRXx
Jul 19 2009, 06:36 AM
To be honest I don't think emo is popular enough for Religious Groups to be really bothered. I'm sure some have heard about the self-harm and all that though.
Emo Pictures - Vybz
Vybz
Jul 19 2009, 09:05 AM
well i am a Christian.. and my Christian friends tell me that like emo music is demonic, and why listen to music that is a bout being sad etc. I have also explained to them that relating to the " sad" " depressing " music is a way to get over break ups, bad feelings etc, and being able to relate to them makes you feel better. The self harm is another story, i myself try to encourage people not to do it, but i wouldn't shun anyone for it. As i know some of my emo friends are not really accepted by the Religious crowd.
Freshtilldeath1990
Jul 19 2009, 08:20 PM
well. they frown upon what they do not understand or get. The Devil Wears Prada is one of my fav bands. and my church thought i was listening to devil music till i showed them their lyrics. its all about communication. now they want me to take the youth group to their shows!
Emo Pictures - Vybz
Vybz
Jul 20 2009, 01:41 PM
^ that's cool It would be nice if all people would communicate instead of just looking on the outside.
Emo Pictures - xXeMoRaCeRXx
xXeMoRaCeRXx
Jul 21 2009, 01:58 PM
Freshtilldeath1990 you have made a great point because a lot of emo/screamo music would initially put people off that have never heard it before, but showing them the lyrics will usually change that. Underoath is another example I can think of. Emo/screamo music is dynamic and energetic; not evil :]
LipsOfDeceit
Jul 22 2009, 05:18 AM
On the music side of things. Metal is usually asociated with the devil, right? but.. you get christian metal, most of which is good. :) They keep religion in the lyrics without it directly being about God and that. I'm not religious but some of the lyrics are really meaningfull.
Emo Pictures - brookeRt
brookeRt
Jul 27 2009, 06:01 AM
Question is it bad to like belive in science instead of god? Magical beings dont really work well with me.
Emo Pictures - Vybz
Vybz
Jul 28 2009, 06:31 PM
^well that there is a sticky topic .. very very sticky. as there are many diverse views on what to believe in who to believe in etc... most of the time i encourage people to do what they are comfortable with, but on the other hand if u have a question about what I believe in in terms of Religion .. be it criticism or just a simple question you can ask me.
Emo Pictures - James
James
Aug 02 2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, a lot of the popular posthardcore music is actually lyrically Christian influenced.. Underoath, the Devil Wears Prada, (which someone else mentioned in this topic) Attack Attack, Oceana, As Cities Burn, Norma Jean, August Burns Red, Burden of a Day, Before their Eyes.. I could probably name dozens more. I myself have never really experienced a lot of criticism from religious groups. (Though, I'm not emo.. so I guess I don't count anyway) In fact, the local music scene in my area is heavily populated by religious bands that send out a good message to teens. But I have heard of religous groups attacking "emo." But religious groups tend to attack anything odd and unfamiliar. Often times, not rightfully so. They react without thinking because it is unfamiliar. However, there is definitely at least some truth to what they are saying, and I am sure anyone can see this. There are many stereotypical aspects of the emo scene that are unhealthy, among other things.
LipsOfDeceit
Aug 05 2009, 11:58 AM
some local bands around here practice in a church hall :)
FuckingPoseurs
Aug 05 2009, 02:29 PM
Real emos deny that they are emo. Emo is a label given by people outside. If you try to be emo, you are a poseur. And by labeling yourself as emo, you are trying to be emo. Poseurs.
xXlost_soulXx
Aug 11 2009, 08:11 PM
i have never heard anyone at my churches talk about emo or anything but hey thats just me and im a very religous person only none of my vews fit in with any religon so yeah
Emo Pictures - DeadxStar
DeadxStar
Aug 12 2009, 02:32 AM
oh god. Take this question to Yahoo Answers and you'll have bible bashing wingnuts all over you like a nun sandwich D: definitly!
Emo Pictures - Vybz
Vybz
Aug 12 2009, 02:28 PM
^ lol i can only imagine

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More