Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

Sometimes I cry so hard from pleading, so sick and tired of all the needless beating I Dont Love You, by My Chemical Romance

Emo Forums » General Emo Discussion (Reply)

Emo Pictures - just_another_emo_kid
just_another_emo_kid
ranting on stereotypes Mar 03 2009, 04:26 AM
im an emo kid. im not afraid to admit it either. but ive come to the point where its like why even bother? emo, goth, prep, jock, rapper or gangster... those are just stereotypes given to others by a certain group of people. sure it may make it easier to identify a certain group of people that do certain things. But our society in the U.S. (idk about the U.K. but ill asume its the same), has a tendency to overdo certain things. Preps and jocks use the terms emo and goth to put down "the wrong people" or the "freaks". Emos and goths use the terms prep and jock to put down the "higher ups" and the people with barbie doll personalities. Hell ive done it many of times. gangsters and rappers do the same for both. its all simbiotic. most dont have a problem with this. i do. while i may be emo, i dont like being called that weird emo kid where ever i go. id rather be called by my name. if they dont know my name then that still doesnt to give them the ok-go-ahead.  so if that means im not emo well then whatever. im me. gotta problem well deal with it, i wont change for you. i for one would like to know what started the joke that is stereotyping.

Replies

Emo Pictures - JustMe
JustMe
Mar 03 2009, 07:47 AM

Here in the uk, where i live atleast, we use Chav as an insult and the chavs use emo. Or "go slit your wrists" which is annoying as hell. I agree, i would rather be known by name rather than "emo" or "freak". Whats more annoying is when you get someone move from a diffrent school and they automatically hate you when you've never even talked to them. Someone did that at our school and scratched "i h8 emos" onto the table in english. Stereo types don't bother me, but they di when there used as insults. Also, everyone seems to think i'm a goth...I don't get it.

And according to our dear friend wikipedia...

In 1985 in Washington, D.C., Ian MacKaye and Guy Picciotto, veterans of the DC hardcore music scene, took their music in a more personal direction with a far greater sense of experimentation, bringing forth MacKaye's Embrace and Picciotto's Rites of Spring. The style of music developed by Embrace and Rites of Spring soon became its own sound. As a result of the renewed spirit of experimentation and musical innovation that developed the new scene, the summer of 1985 soon came to be known in the scene as "Revolution Summer".[7]

Where the term emo actually originated is uncertain: the earliest print citation found so far appears in 1997,[8] although some claim that members of Rites of Spring mentioned in a 1985 Flipside Magazine interview that some of their fans had started using the term to describe their music.[citation needed]

Within a short time, the D.C. emo sound began to influence other bands such as Moss Icon, Nation of Ulysses, Dag Nasty, Soulside, Shudder to Think, Fire Party, Marginal Man, Foundation and Gray Matter, many of which were released on MacKaye's Dischord Records.

At the same time, in the New York/New Jersey area, bands such as Native Nod, Policy of 3, Rye Coalition, and Quicksand[9] were feeling the same impulse. Many of these bands were involved with the ABC No Rio club scene in New York, itself a response to the violence and stagnation in the scene and with the bands that played at CBGBs, the only other small venue for hardcore in New York at the time.

Emo Pictures - xXeMoRaCeRXx
xXeMoRaCeRXx
Mar 03 2009, 10:37 AM
Stereotypes must have been going for many many years and I'm sure most of us have had a rant about them before. Stereotyping does bring people toegther but it also obviously pushes people apart. You just can't win sadly...

Once again wikipedia has a decent article on stereotypes.
xFly_On_Paper_Wingsx
Mar 03 2009, 11:12 AM
lmao I was in a chippy today and cus it was raining, my hair had got completely wet so I pulled it over my face but you could still see my eyes through it and I had heavy guyliner on.. I must of looked very err strange lol.. These two lads started whistling the tune to the adams family.. I dunno, it makes me laugh.. It's funny on one hand and it shows how small minded they are to have to single people out while they are sitting there with their pants tucked into their socks..
Emo Pictures - JustMe
JustMe
Mar 04 2009, 07:38 AM

Does anyone else find that around where they live gun crime is a "chav" thing and self harming is an "emo" thing.

Maybe thats just where i go but still, its kinda stupid. Not all chavs go around with guns and knives. At work the barman, he's a teacher aswell, encourages me to "be dedicated, hate the world and take a gun into school" apparently he tells his students that. He's like 20ish.

Emo Pictures - just_another_emo_kid
just_another_emo_kid
Mar 05 2009, 03:59 AM
i agree, its not just where you go either. people here in the U.S. (especially Indiana where, unfortunately, reside), have a major tendency to put the blame on the "emo" and "goth" groups. they dont do it over the news or anything like that. they try to make it discreet. and its not just emos that think suicidal things and cut themselves (hell, nowadays, most emos dont even do that now). many of the "higher ups" have more of those thoughts than i have in my finger.

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More