Emo Scene Community

1000's of emo guys & girls!

Search soEmo

Top Emo Bands View All

Emo Lyrics View All

Baby you light up my world like nobody else. That's what makes you beautiful, by One Direction

Emo Forums » Emo Art And Photography (Reply)

Emo Pictures - AliceHeartnet
AliceHeartnet
The Scream by Edvard Munch Dec 27 2014, 10:27 AM
Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Munch I consider Munch pretty emo. Doesn't The Scream scream at you like a screamo band? :) The Scream (1893) The Scream exists in four versions: two pastels (1893 and 1895) and two paintings (1893 and 1910). There are also several lithographs of The Scream (1895 and later). The 1895 pastel sold at auction on 2 May 2012 for US$119,922,500, including commission.[41] It is the most colorful of the versions[42] and is distinctive for the downward-looking stance of one of its background figures. It is also the only version not part of the collection of a Norwegian museum. The 1893 version (shown here) was stolen and recovered from the National Gallery in Oslo in 1994. The 1910 painting was stolen in 2004 from The Munch Museum in Oslo, but recovered in 2006 with limited damage. The Scream is Munch's most famous work and one of the most recognizable paintings in all art. It has been widely interpreted as representing the universal anxiety of modern man.[40] Painted with broad bands of garish color and highly simplified forms, and employing a high viewpoint, the agonized figure is reduced to a garbed skull in the throes of an emotional crisis. With this painting, Munch met his stated goal of "the study of the soul, that is to say the study of my own self".[43] Munch wrote of how the painting came to be: "I was walking down the road with two friends when the sun set; suddenly, the sky turned as red as blood. I stopped and leaned against the fence, feeling unspeakably tired. Tongues of fire and blood stretched over the bluish black fjord. My friends went on walking, while I lagged behind, shivering with fear. Then I heard the enormous, infinite scream of nature."[44] He later described the personal anguish behind the painting, "for several years I was almost mad… You know my picture, 'The Scream?' I was stretched to the limit—nature was screaming in my blood… After that I gave up hope ever of being able to love again."[45] In summing up the painting's impact, author Martha Tedeschi has stated: "Whistler's Mother, Wood's American Gothic, Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa and Edvard Munch's The Scream have all achieved something that most paintings—regardless of their art historical importance, beauty, or monetary value—have not: they communicate a specific meaning almost immediately to almost every viewer. These few works have successfully made the transition from the elite realm of the museum visitor to the enormous venue of popular culture."[46]

Replies

Emo Pictures - xXeMoRaCeRXx
xXeMoRaCeRXx
Dec 27 2014, 05:32 PM
^Fixed the links and picture :)
AliceHeartnet
Dec 28 2014, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much, Matt! ^_^ That's what it is :)
Emo Pictures - EyeWings
EyeWings
Dec 29 2014, 01:53 PM
I've always loved this picture, such a tormented figure and that non-descript face were really ahead of its time
AliceHeartnet
Dec 30 2014, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I can never forget the feeling when I saw it for the first time :)

Add Reply

• Please note: Comments soEmo.co.uk considers to be totally unrelated spam will be removed.

Featured Users View More